Phoenix.pm: Meeting followup

Bryan Lane Bryan.Lane at VITALPS.COM
Wed Aug 23 12:52:58 CDT 2000

Thanks for the follow up....

-----Original Message-----
From: doug.miles at bpxinternet.com [mailto:doug.miles at bpxinternet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 10:53 AM
To: Phoenix.pm
Subject: Phoenix.pm: Meeting followup

I realized last night that I forgot to explain @ISA.  @ISA is Perl's
method of handling inheritance.  If you notice in the HTMLTemplate.pm
module line 9:

@ISA = qw(Exporter AutoLoader Template);

Exporter and AutoLoader are put in by the h2xs script.  I added
Template.  This makes HTMLTemplate a sub-class of Template.  The way
this works, is that if you attempt to call a method that doesn't exist
in package HTMLTemplate, perl will look at the packages in @ISA and see
if they have that method.  So if I do this:

$self->build();

in HTMLTemplate (which I do), perl will search through @ISA to find
build, because it does not exist in HTMLTemplate.  Perl will then use
the build method in the Template package.

Sorry about that.  Let me know if you have any questions.

--
- Doug

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.