Phoenix.pm: Next meeting topic

Douglas E. Miles doug.miles at bpxinternet.com
Thu Sep 23 11:18:45 CDT 1999

Beaves at aol.com wrote:

> I think that instead of having a separate meeting for beginners and advanced,
> that we set aside about 10 to 15 minutes for a Perl Basics
> forum/discussion/presentation.  I know that even if the topic is a 'basic'
> one, that we could probably all contribute a lesson learned, and that we all
> coud probably learn something new and unusual about the topic.  With the Perl
> basic topic known, then we could all gather our thoughts on the issue and
> comeup with our own lessons learned, or come armed with questions that have
> been nagging us.  The topic should be very specific, as it'll end up
> branching out anyway...
>
> I would like to avoid having a beginners group, because I feel that we all
> probably have a few things to learn at many levels.  I would enjoy being
> involved in a 'entry level' discussion, but I would be hesitant to attend a
> meeting if the entire meeting were devoted to that level...
>
> Here are some topics that may work:
>
> Hashes, (No you can't smoke 'em, but they are smokin')
> @INC, %INC, and @ISA (Doesn't eveybody want to be included...?)
> Filehandles and FileHandle.pm  (No, you can't pick up chicks with em)
> AUTOLOAD, $AUTOLOAD, and autoloading.  (Not about deficating in a Chevy...)
> Symbol tables.
> References and dereferencing
>
> Just to name a few...
>
> So, to summarize, I think that we should devote a portion of each meeting to
> Perl basics.  If your strong in that area, then come prepared to talk and
> teach.  If you're weak in that area, then come prepare to listen, take notes
> and ask questions.

These point are well taken.  I think that the consensus is that we don't
split the meetings.  I agree.  That being said, I'd still like to have a
Perl 101 meeting next time, to sort of jump start some of the newer
people.  Can I see a show of emails for those who would be interested in
this topic next time?  If I find that the interest isn't there, I'll
change my mind.  Thanks for the feedback!

--
People understand instinctively that the best way for computer
programs to communicate with each other is for each of the them