Phoenix.pm: Next meeting topic

Beaves at aol.com Beaves at aol.com
Wed Sep 22 16:30:48 CDT 1999

I think that instead of having a separate meeting for beginners and advanced,
that we set aside about 10 to 15 minutes for a Perl Basics
forum/discussion/presentation.  I know that even if the topic is a 'basic'
one, that we could probably all contribute a lesson learned, and that we all
coud probably learn something new and unusual about the topic.  With the Perl
basic topic known, then we could all gather our thoughts on the issue and
comeup with our own lessons learned, or come armed with questions that have
been nagging us.  The topic should be very specific, as it'll end up
branching out anyway...

I would like to avoid having a beginners group, because I feel that we all
probably have a few things to learn at many levels.  I would enjoy being
involved in a 'entry level' discussion, but I would be hesitant to attend a
meeting if the entire meeting were devoted to that level...

Here are some topics that may work:

Hashes, (No you can't smoke 'em, but they are smokin')
@INC, %INC, and @ISA (Doesn't eveybody want to be included...?)
Filehandles and FileHandle.pm  (No, you can't pick up chicks with em)
AUTOLOAD, $AUTOLOAD, and autoloading.  (Not about deficating in a Chevy...)
Symbol tables.
References and dereferencing

Just to name a few...

So, to summarize, I think that we should devote a portion of each meeting to
Perl basics.  If your strong in that area, then come prepared to talk and
teach.  If you're weak in that area, then come prepare to listen, take notes
and ask questions.

Just putting in my 2 centavos...

Tim