Phoenix.pm: Next meeting topic

Douglas E. Miles doug.miles at bpxinternet.com
Wed Sep 22 12:10:03 CDT 1999

Pablo Velasquez wrote:

> Hi,
> First, it was great meeting everyone last evening.
>
> To respond to your question: I'm for keeping the group together. "Beginner"
> or "Advanced", there's more than one way to do it :)

Thanks for the feedback!

> Proposal: I had a general idea that I wanted to bring up. I was thinking
> about a workshop for a local university or college. Meaning, as a group we
> create a Intro. to Perl type curriculum that we present at colleges...this
> is certainly a longer term project, perhaps a topic of discussion for a
> meeting? (I was thinking of it as providing a service to the community)
>
> My motivation for this type of project is that you create a system for
> institutionalizing Perl at the academic level. You get more members, you
> encourage Perl being taught, therefore, increasing the level of awareness,
> etc. Once you create relationships with different computer science
> departments you begin to create a system of Perl being taught...

I think that this idea definitely warrents more discussion.  I think
that its a great idea.  I don't have any idea how to go about doing it
though (maybe you do).  Any other thoughts on this?

--
People understand instinctively that the best way for computer
programs to communicate with each other is for each of the them