Phoenix.pm: Installing Perl

Warner, David David.Warner at feddata.com
Thu Oct 21 10:04:41 CDT 1999

Tim,

	I would definitely look into using Activestate's version of perl, as
suggested by Doug.  You can then install DBI and the DBD-Mysql packages by
using the command line:

	"perl ppm.pl install DBI DBD-Mysql" (whilst connected to the
internet)

	and the packages (along with HTML-ized documentation) will be
installed on your machine.

	Activestate provides a really nice HTML version of the core perl
documentation and adds to it every time you install a package using "ppm"
(short for perl package manager).

	As to using Mysql on Windows, it does require a license, which costs
$200.00. Under Linux/other Unices, it is basically free, unless you resell
it.

					Hope this helps,

						Dave Warner