Phoenix.pm: Installing Perl

Pablo Velasquez pablo at dosomething.org
Wed Oct 20 20:34:19 CDT 1999

Hi,
I'll volunteer some information and welcome corrections or extensions from
all.

Is your goal to use the MySQL db at highway? Do you have a UNIX or NT
account with hiway?

However, you want to "develop" on windows first?

Not sure about your goals...

Also, I went to hiway.com and read their "connection" policies. They do not
offer telnet. They seem to have the same system as ValueWeb, NO telnet,
simply modification of files with "WS_FTP"... This is like telling you to
do a line sketch with a brick instead of a pencil.

This is completely unacceptable to me :) You should switch to a UNIX
NetNation web hosting plan...

That's my advice.

-Pablo

p.s.

I'm not sure I'd recommend going through the whole deal of developing
(including installing MySQL, etc) on your Windows machine. It's up to you.
I was able to install IIS, MySQL, the DBI drivers, the whole bit, on my
windows NT machine but it didn't really provide any help for development
since it requires you to duplicate your work too often (also things don't
always work the same way). It was easier to just create a test site on the
Linux box, upload my scripts and test them, then move them to the
production part of the site when I was done. I've been doing this for about
6 months now without a single problem. (as opposed to my earlier trial with
Windows which didn't go well at all) But that is my own experience others
may find the opposite to be true.