Phoenix.pm: script archive

Mark Pease Mark.Pease at motorola.com
Tue Oct 19 16:38:35 CDT 1999

Janis wrote:

> OK, Call me clueless and uninformed, but could you please explain WHY
> these are bad and evil?  I've been using Perl for about a month now, and
> they taugh me quite a few tricks.  Some examples of better ways of writing
> these scripts would, in theory, help me even more!  :-)
>
> -Heather (who is making a mental note never to show anyone HER code!)

I want to make a quick apology to the list for sending flame bait out.
I must have been in PHB mode (Pointy-Haired Boss) <insert sound of head
hitting desk> Ahh... that better!

As for why Matt's scripts are considered evil, it's my understanding
that
when several people tried to tell him that there were security problems,
he displayed an attitude and was unrepentant. Thus he was removed from
the body, never to return.

As for why *I* PHBed and sent my reply to Heather, I was in the mist of
a review of the Perl Timeline against my archive of Perl History and ran
across the bit about Matt's Script archive, and the "patch" crossed my
email about the same time. I went into overload and sent the reply.

"Hello, my name is Mark, and I am a... a Manager (sob)."

Mark Pease                                   Mark.Pease at mototorola.com
Motorola DigitalDNA(tm) Laboratories             perl at perl.sps.mot.com
2100 E. Elliot Rd.     Phone:(602)413-8191       Mail Stop: AZ34 EL701
Tempe, AZ 85284        Pager:(800)381-3304           FAX:(602)413-8183
   Author of "Software Engineering with Perl"