Phoenix.pm: script archive

Douglas E. Miles doug.miles at bpxinternet.com
Tue Oct 19 10:10:47 CDT 1999

Janis wrote:

> OK, Call me clueless and uninformed, but could you please explain WHY
> these are bad and evil?  I've been using Perl for about a month now, and
> they taugh me quite a few tricks.  Some examples of better ways of writing
> these scripts would, in theory, help me even more!  :-)

I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet.  I'll bite.  First of
all, I'm not familiar with Matt's scripts, so I ran a search on
deja.com.  The main complaints I saw were that the scripts were written
insecurely, or had known exploits with no patch or upgrade.  Anyone know
more?

> -Heather (who is making a mental note never to show anyone HER code!)

<soapbox>
Unfortunately, I'll admit that I'm often reluctant to show my code
sometimes also.  Hopefully this group will be gentle in showing better
ways of doing things. (hint, hint)  I really don't want anyone to be
uncomfortable in sharing, because that stifles learning (for the person
with the question, and those who would benefit from the discussion).  It
is worth bearing in mind that when somebody does something "stupid" it
is usually because they don't know any better, not because they're doing
it intentionally.
</soapbox>

--
People understand instinctively that the best way for computer
programs to communicate with each other is for each of the them