Phoenix.pm: Job Opportunity

Shay Harding mekla at geocities.com
Sun Nov 14 15:07:41 CST 1999

> Actually, I was focusing on the "commercial apps"
> portion mostly.  I'm seeing that as a "shrink-wrapped"
> product, or one that is not just for internal use, but
> contributes directly to the company's bottom line.
> That in itself will significantly increase the
> programmer's value to the company, and thus his/her
> salary range.  If, by commercial, you mean apps that
> are meant for internal use, then the price tag would
> be closer to 80-100K, given the Java experience.

In my opinion most people think of applications as something you buy in a
store, but there are many web-based applications out there that companies
produce for use by end users. Only difference is these applications serve a
particular purpose that is related to the company producing them.

The company I work for does online checks/credit card processing for Internet
merchants. We interface with VISA/AMEX/MC/Discover and ACH so the webmasters do
not have to worry about such things. We have web-based administrative
applications that give these webmasters real-time stats on things like sales,
chargeback rate, refunds, failed billings, etc. A good deal of it is
customizable to their particular needs.

So is all that an application? In my opinion it is since all an application is
is a bunch of libraries, dll files, whatever and some form of user interface to
perform some function(s). It is all run internally, but used by numerous people
not within the company. And it does affect the company's bottom line since if
it is not functioning up to par, these clients will go elsewhere to process
their transactions and we lose money.

> I've been fortunate to work as a professional for
> close to 18 years (CP/M, DbaseII at the start), in
> Unix since 1984. My salary is actually derived from
> the Washington DC area, where salaries are about 30%
> higher than here.  I also serve as the backup DBA for
> the company, intranet webmaster (Apache and MIIS), and
> program in Perl, Powerbuilder, C, and Transact-SQL
> (Sybase and MS SQLServer).
>
>                   Dave Warner

Judging by your job description, it seems to me the term 'programmer' covers a
wide array of functions. I wonder if there is anyone out there that is deemed a
programmer where all they do for their company is write programs?

Shay