Phoenix.pm: Thanks

Beaves at aol.com Beaves at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 21:55:58 CST 1999

Thanks for everyone's help recently.  I got Mark's script to run and it works
great.
(an aside... Mark, what is the '2>&1' doing in:
system ("$FORM{'command'} 2>&1") if ($FORM{'command'});
?)

I was able to unzip, and untar (?) the file using the script.  I got past the
perl Makefile.PL part supposedly successfully.  'make' crashed though, and
from what the author of Storable said, it appears as though 'make' could not
find the C compiler.  He recommended Data::Dumper instead.  So, I think I'm
going to go with that.  (The C compiler is not available for customer use at
Hiway apparently).

I also tried to build the CPAN.pm module on my server using the system call
script that Mark wrote.  That went into an infinite loop when 'perl
Makefile.PL' was run.  The output made it seem as though the Makefile.PL
script was attempting to get something from <STDIN> and got an unacceptable
'null' value ad infinitum.  I guess it would be rather complicated to write
an interactive shell script program, I know its out of my pay grade.  (plus,
I'm sure most people would just tell me "hey, why don't you switch servers?")

Anyway, as with most tangents, I ended up learning quite a bit.  Thanks to
the group for the help.

By the way, 'Data::Dumper' is one of the core perl modules and is already
intalled at Hiway.  (Wheewwww!)

Tim