Phoenix.pm: holy buckets, batman!

Douglas E. Miles doug.miles at ns2.phoenix.bowne.com
Mon Dec 20 12:18:08 CST 1999

Beaves at aol.com wrote:

> Well, your suggestion of doing the system commands sounds like it should work
> up until the Makefile.PL stuff below.
>
> <<
>  etc... system()ize the following likewise:
>
>  perl Makefile.PL
>  make
>  make install
>
>  this is untested, and I'm not responsible if it causes global meltdown.
>  :)
>   >>

> The reason being is that I believe Makefile.PL needs to have 'make' and 'make
> install' sent to it at the prompts for STDIN (but I'm not certain about
> this...)  This sounds like a piped process would be in order, but I have no
> clue about how to go about it.
>
> Would this work?  system('perl Makefile.PL', 'make', 'make install')   or is
> that syntactically incorrect right out of the box.

Nope, that won't work.  Sorry for the confusing example.  I just got
lazy (read: virtuous :) ) and didn't want to type out all of the system
calls.  From the perlfunc man page:

If there is more than one argument in LIST, or if LIST is an array with
more than one value, starts the program given by the first element of
the list with arguments given by the rest of the list.

The first argument is the program to run, and the subsequent list
elements are the arguments.  That being said, it should look more like
this:

system('perl Makefile.PL');
system('make');
system('make install');

One thing you might have to worry about are paths.  I'm not sure if
within the CGI environment you'll be able to access everything you need
without specifiying the path.  You'll probably just have to experiment
with this.

--
For a list of the ways which technology has failed
to improve our quality of life, press 3.