Phoenix.pm: holy buckets, batman!

Beaves at aol.com Beaves at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 00:54:37 CST 1999

Thanks, Doug for pointing me in the 'Storable.pm' direction and to finally
use the Active State ppm for installing my modules.  (That is pretty neat
stuff!!)

However, I have run into a slight problem.  Storable.pm works fine at home on
my Win95 machine.  Since I can't do shell work with my ISP (Hiway.com), I
figured I'd just FTP all the files that the .ppm provided.  When I try to run
my script from the server, Storable is not working.  It uses AutoLoader and
DynaLoader, and DynaLoader is crashing when it looks for the .dll file (near
as I can tell) for Storable.  (Confused yet?)  I can't say for certain, but
I'd bet that because of the platform differences, I can't just FTP my PC
files and think that everything will be hunky dory on my server which runs
UNIX.  (Like I said, the module works with no hitches on my PC).

Soooo, where does that leave me without a paddle?  Well, there are two
solutions that I have yet to try, (and I've tried quite a few already...)
First, I would not mind in the least writing a program that simulated a shell
script, or one that mimicked the
"
perl Makefile.PL;
make
make install
"
stuff.  But can I simulate a shell from a Perl script?  How?

Second solution is to have someone working in UNIX that might have a
(working) copy of the Storable.pm module and its auto loading subdirectories.
 I could just FTP the correct (hopefully) stuff.  'Maybe' that will work.

Changing ISP's is more and more enticing...
Thanks to anyone that listened for listening...

Tim