[Philadelphia-pm] Meeting schedule

Gabriel Weinberg yegg at duckduckgo.com
Mon Jan 6 03:48:01 PST 2014

We'd be happy to host sometimes at DuckDuckGo, especially as an
occasional location change-up. We're in Paoli right off (walking
distance) from SEPTA/Amtrak on R5/30th street trains. Right across the
street is a good place for after b(urger|eer)s: http://tjseveryday.com/

Wrt Unicode, not the worlds expert but we do deal with that and would be
happy to contribute to a discussion on it. I find myself essentially
relearning it every year when some pernicious bug comes up and enough
time has passed where some of the details have atrophied. Practically, I
find myself coming back to these two pages each time, which is where I
would recommend starting (in that order):

http://www.ahinea.com/en/tech/perl-unicode-struggle.html
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlunicode.html

One thing that has tripped me up repeatedly but not listed on either is
your terminal encoding. If you're messing around with Unicode but your
terminal encoding is not set to UTF-8 or something like it you're going
to have trouble seeing output correctly. One nightmare recently resulted
from having two terminal windows open, one with a UTF-8 encoding and one
without, and me trying to figure out what was wrong with my code (answer
NOTHING).

--
Gabriel, http://ye.gg/