[Philadelphia-pm] Interesting ENIAC event coming up

Kurt Starsinic kstarsinic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 09:40:13 PST 2013

Hi all,

Happy new year! I just found out about a free event sponsored by
http://www.networkfornewmusic.org/ at U Penn:

We're hosting a free event at the University of Pennsylvania, home of the
original ENIAC computer<http://networkfornewmusic.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e674baab8a47fd62fc3bb223a&id=a202e4c51f&e=3d411fe4bb>.
Composers Maurice
Wright<http://networkfornewmusic.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=e674baab8a47fd62fc3bb223a&id=ab6e9cd62f&e=3d411fe4bb>
 and James Primosch<http://networkfornewmusic.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e674baab8a47fd62fc3bb223a&id=fc33bd0021&e=3d411fe4bb>
will
introduce selected videos drawn from the Video Archive of the
Electroacoustic
Music<http://networkfornewmusic.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e674baab8a47fd62fc3bb223a&id=27c36563b9&e=3d411fe4bb>
(curated
by Eric Chasalow<http://networkfornewmusic.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e674baab8a47fd62fc3bb223a&id=46842c1c15&e=3d411fe4bb>,
whose *The Shattering Bliss of Altitude *will be premiered in our Third
Space mini-festival<http://networkfornewmusic.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e674baab8a47fd62fc3bb223a&id=385b7d4b19&e=3d411fe4bb>
this
spring).

We'll also have wine, food, and conversation with guest
Bill Mauchly, whose father John
Mauchly<http://networkfornewmusic.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e674baab8a47fd62fc3bb223a&id=ec3b15aa37&e=3d411fe4bb>
(together
with
J. Prosper Eckert) designed ENIAC, the first general purpose electronic
digital computer.

*Join us to hear more about the events leading up thecreation of ENIAC,
anecdotes about computers and electronic music back in the day (both Eckert
and John Mauchly were musicians), Bill Mauchly's experiences with
the development of sampling instruments and MIDI, and much more!*

*Save the date*: Friday, February 15 at 7:30 PM, in Rose Recital Hall on
the University of Pennsylvania campus.

That's all I know. Check the website and/or subscribe to their email list
for details to come. When I hear more, I'll post here.

- Kurt
*
*