[Philadelphia-pm] GetOpt::Long::Descriptive or GetOpt::Simple?

Chris Nehren c.nehren/phl at shadowcat.co.uk
Mon May 23 16:56:55 PDT 2011

On May 23, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Mark Gardner wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Chris Nehren
> <c.nehren/phl at shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:
>> Euclid is dangerous Damianware (read: Damian abandonware) fueled by brittle crack and voodoo under the hood. Take a look at its innards and see if you still want to use it.
>
> Do you think it could be rehabilitated? I.e., is the basic idea sound
> and could conceivably work without all the scary Damianisms?

If I wanted to do what Euclid does, I would probably start with MooseX::Getopt and use the MOP and a proper POD parser to achieve the same thing with a mature, consistent API that many developers are familiar with.

> Also to be fair, Kevin Galinsky picked up maintenance late last year.
> It's not exactly abandoned, though I don't envy him.

Sure, but it's still code that Damian isn't maintaining.

--
Thanks and best regards,
Chris Nehren