[Philadelphia-pm] Random Hacks of Kindness, June 4th and 5th at Drexel

Darian Patrick darian at criticode.com
Wed Jun 1 10:27:58 PDT 2011

Hello again all,

Many of us wish our work had more direct social impact. This looks like a fun opportunity to be involved in something interesting and special:

Random Hacks of Kindness Philadelphia!

WHO: Designers, programmers, geeks, hackers, activists, problem
solvers and concerned citizens!
WHAT: A FREE hackathon* to create software solutions to global human challenges.
WHERE: 3175 JFK Blvd, Drexel University, Philadelphia
WHEN: June 4th and 5th, 2011 starting at 9am. (Reception on June 3rd TBA)
HOW: Register at http://rhokphiladelphia.eventbrite.com

RHoK is an event and competition to create immediately applicable
solutions to real world problems. By gathering the brightest hackers
and problem-solvers from around the world, RHoK aims to use technology
to tackle disaster relief, social development, climate change, and
human rights. Here's your chance to volunteer your time and hack for
humanity.

RHoK Philly begins at 9am on Saturday, June 4th . Show up with a team
of 2-4 hackers (or join a team here!) Pick one of the dozens of
available social impact problem-definitions and see what you can make
by Sunday afternoon. The best project will be featured around the
globe. Space is limited so be sure to pre-register. If you have a
global problem to suggest, get involved in the discussion on the RHoK
site (http://www.rhok.org) and submit it!

There will also be a keynote talk by Roger Dingledine of the Tor
Project (https://torproject.org). Plus other special guests!

This is a FREE event and open to the public. We will provide food,
prizes, Internet, power, and logistics. Just bring your laptop!

* The focus is on software but we need participants with a range of
skills, not just programmers! We need both techies and non-technical
individuals who understand these local and global challenges.

RHoK Philadelphia is sponsored by Drexel University, Technically
Philly, Drexel Women in Computer Science Society, Drexel Math and
Computer Science Society, and Grindcore House.