[Philadelphia-pm] Meeting planning

Ken Fox kenfox at starlinx.com
Mon Apr 4 21:47:37 PDT 2011

Newbie sort of point of view.

I'd like to get an idea where Perl's headed - The last time I was heads down
working in Perl, Parrot was new. While I could probably look it up myself I
think it would be interesting to see where the language is headed as far as
support and adoption. I've recently hat to work in Python and Java. They
both have strengths and weaknesses, so I'm thinking where is it that
(besides everywhere) Perl solves problems the best when compared to Java and
Python or Ruby and so forth.

Some background - I first learned Perl by writing programs to manipulate a
robotic tape handler because it was mangling the backups. My second major
project was a multinational tiered monitoring-aggregation-correlation engine
with *intelligent* notification features (27K lines of code)

-- Ken