[pgh-pm] Net::LDAP problems with SSL

beer at cmu.edu beer at cmu.edu
Mon Aug 4 14:10:50 PDT 2008

Hey folks

I have an app that uses Net::LDAP.  The ldap server i am connecting to
requires 64 bit or higher encryption but I cant seem to force Net::LDAP to
cooperate.  Allegedly I should be able to choose the ciphers used with
OpenSSL by passing values to the start_tls subroutine.  What follows is an
approximation of my code with sensitive data removed:

my $ldap = Net::LDAP->($ldap_server, scheme => 'ldaps', version => 3);
$ldap->start_tls( cafile =>$ca_file, ciphers => 'ALL:!RC4:@STRENGTH');
my $mesg = $ldap->bind($bind_dn, port => 636, password => $password);

The above value being passed to ciphers is just one of many I have tried
including but not limited to: HIGH, MEDIUM, AES, SSLv3, ALL:!ADH at STRENTH.
Regardless of what I pass here, when I check $ldap->cipher() it always
returns EXP1024-RC4-SHA.

I was originally running version 0.33 but upgraded to 0.36 today in the
hopes that it was a simple bug that had already been addressed.

Anyone else have any experience with this module that might be able to offer
some advice?

TIA

-bill