[pgh-pm] Fwd: Reminder that the Pittsburgh Ruby User Group meeting 1.2 happens MARCH 6

Greg Akins angrygreg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:35:05 PST 2007

This is a reminder that the next Pittsburgh Ruby User Group meeting
happens next Tuesday night,
March 6th, from 6 to 8pm, at the Pittsburgh Technology Council
building. We had an excellent
first meeting, and we're looking forward to seeing you at the next one!

If you haven't already, please RSVP now(!) to
mailto:schofield.david at verizon.net so that we can
get an accurate count for refreshments.

Agenda:
6:00 - 6:45 - Ruby 101: Exploring Ruby - "...and now for something
(almost) completely
different!"
Bring your laptop with Ruby installed for a hands-on look at some of
the different aspects of
Ruby that set it apart from many common programming languages.

6:45 - 7:00 - Refreshments and Networking

7:00 - ~8:00 - Ruby Tech: This month's topic is "Test-Driven Ruby",
presented by Kathy Van Stone
Software defects don't just happen--software developers put them
there! And it can cost up to
10,000 times as much to remove a defect after a system's in use than
to remove it in the first
phases of development! So how can we identify and remove our bugs as
soon as possible? Test
Driven Development (TDD) provides the answer!
Join us as our own Kathy Van Stone reviews the philosophy and steps of
TDD, introduces Ruby's
Unit Testing Framework, and guides us through implementing a
real-world Ruby TDD example.

Again PLEASE RSVP so that we can get an accurate count for refreshments!
If you're a member of the Pittsburgh Ruby GoogleGroup, you can email
your confirmation to the
group at mailto:rubypgh at googlegroups.com, or else email me personally at
mailto:schofield.david at verizon.net

Location Details:
The meeting will be held in the 2nd Floor Training Room of the
Pittsburgh Technology Council,
2000 Technology Drive, PGH. Free wireless is available in the training room.
(The council building is near the foot of Bates (that's the Parkway's
Oakland exit) by the Mon
river, along the road that ThermoFisher(Cellomics) and Union Switch
and Signal are on. See it at
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2000+Technology+Drive,+pittsburgh,+pa&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&z
=16&ll=40.434209,-79.96871&spn=0.012233,0.026994&iwloc=addr)

-ds/ga