[pgh-pm] Some available hardware (mostly servers)

Tom Moertel tom at moertel.com
Sat Mar 11 12:45:06 PST 2006

[Resent because first attempts bounced.]

Pittsburgh Perl Mongers,

As I mentioned at Wednesday's meeting, one of my clients has some
surplus hardware.  They have kindly offered me the chance to find good
homes for their machines.  Let's put 'em to good use!

Here's the deal:  Most of these are server-type boxes.  All are used,
some heavily, but believed to be working.  Nevertheless, this is a
strictly as-is offer.  Further, not all of these machines may be
available.  Here's the tentative list:

QTY HARDWARE
(1) Dell PowerEdge 4300, 512 MB, (2) Xeon ~550 MHz, PERC2 RAID ~80 GB
(5) SAG ~550-MHz PIIs, 128 or 256 MB, (0 or 1) ~13 GB, 3Com 3C905
(2) 600-series Thinkpad laptops
(1) Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop

If you are interested in any of these machines, send an email with a
subject of "March 2006 Hardware Request" to tom at moertel.com -- NOT THE
MAILING LIST -- and list the machines you want, up to three total.  For
each machine you list, you may also designate a 2nd-choice machine,
which I will use in the event your 1st choice is unavailable.

After receiving your requests, I will make a tentative assignment of
machines to people.  If there are any conflicts, I will resolve each
randomly using the following weighting scheme for each person P's
probability of winning the conflict:

   weight(P) = 1
             + 2 (if P is a semi-frequent Pgh PM attendee)
             + 2 (if P is a semi-frequent Pgh PM contributor)
             + 2 (if P makes non-trivial open-source contributions)

Further, I will manually adjust the assignment graph if I think doing so
will yield a fairer or more sensible distribution of machines.

Next, I will consult with my client, confirm the availability of the
selected machines, and announce the final hardware-to-person
assignments.  Finally, we can arrange for pick-up of the hardware.

If you are interested, let me know in the next 72 hours.

Cheers,
Tom