[pgh-pm] Making meetings more beginner friendly: some starting points

Matthew J. Hughes mhues at verizon.net
Thu Feb 16 16:16:45 PST 2006

   I think the biggest thing to increase attendance in meetings is to
announce them via email. (Though that may be a personal thing. I always
seem to find out about the meetings after they have occurred.)
   I like all of the ideas bellow. I am most intrigued at the Problem
solution stuff. A contest for something per meeting would be great. Be
it a glass of beer or Pepsi. However one of the things about PERL is
that there is more than one way to do it. Even if you have an answer to
the contest you may like someone else's. I think for me the best way to
learn/improve my perl is to use it. To use it, I think a series of
challenges that increase in difficulty or adds new tools would be best.
Oh and they must be solvable. (a challenge like writing a quine would
put me off not encourage.)
   One last general thought about new members and organizations like
this. There is a wide variance in the membership. Beginners sometimes
don't understand enough to comment on the advanced topics and advanced
users tend to be bored about beginning topics. getting them both
interested in the same meeting is _very_ difficult. For my personal
situation I was very interested in PERL several years ago. I taught
myself some basic perl before life interrupted me. I later decided that
I need somebody else to say I knew something and took the class at CCAC.
Which on the whole was good but since I pretty much already knew what
was in the beginning class it was not necessary. Having let my perl
skills lay dormant for a couple of years I am somewhere between novice
and intermediate.
   Lastly I would say, that in my recent experience, accreditation would
encourage participation. I am currently unemployed and to know that I
could seek accreditation assistance through your Organization would be
great. If I were employed I think that it would also be beneficial, as
it would make me more valuable to future employers.

Matthew Hughes.