[pgh-pm] [Fwd: Re: Making meetings more beginner friendly: some starting points]

Daniel J. Wright Dan at DWright.Org
Thu Feb 16 13:21:08 PST 2006

Sorry, meant to send this to the list...

Subject: Re: [pgh-pm] Making meetings more beginner friendly: some
starting      points
From:    "Daniel J. Wright" <Dan at DWright.Org>
Date:    Thu, February 16, 2006 3:07 pm
To:      "Tom Moertel" <tom at moertel.com>

> - show how to take steps from Perl beginner to Perl journeyman
>    (e.g., how to create packages, contribute to CPAN, test
>    effectively, become a part of the Perl community)

As a matter of fact, I had mentioned to Robert about a week ago that I
would be willing to give a talk on "Writing Perl Modules" at our May
meeting.   Some of the topics I'll cover:

* Deciding when to write a module vs. use somebody else's.
* Choosing a name for your module.
* The basic syntax of perl modules.
  - ... and tools that make this easier for you.
* Using Exporter
* Publishing to CPAN.

est. 45 minutes for the talk.

-Dan