[pgh-pm] Windows Installation

'Chris Winters' chris at cwinters.com
Thu Jul 28 12:16:45 PDT 2005

* Weber, Larry A (laweber at switch.com) [050728 14:53]:
> Thanks for the help, I think the relocate will work for me.
>
> Occasionally I have trouble loading Perl modules.  Usually it is when ppm
> can't find them.  I have tried cpan.bat but that doesn't work well.  Do you
> know if there is a good description of the organization of Perl library
> files?  I just installed several packages using ppm.  Some were put in \lib,
> some in \site\lib, and some in \site\lib\auto.  I am trying to install
> Contextual::Return and having nothing but grief.

Both of these directories act as a module root, so either of these
would be loaded:

 \site\lib\Contextual\Return.pm
 \site\lib\auto\Contextual\Return.pm

If you want to create your own library directory that works whether
you're using your local or networked perl install, say in
'c:\work\perl', I think you can do:

 cd Contextual-Return-x.xx/
 perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=c:/work/perl
 nmake install

I'm not sure how to tell PPM to install to a separate directory. (And
if you don't have 'nmake.exe' on your path, google://download+nmake.)

Then when you run your script:

 set PERL5LIB=c:/work/perl
 perl myscript.pl

Chris

--
Chris Winters (http://www.cwinters.com)
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988