[pgh-pm] PDF Generation from HTML

brian janaszek bmj at anklebiter.net
Mon Dec 19 10:23:06 PST 2005

Hello...

I've been a longtime lurker, and now I'd like to solicit some opinions.
Here's the problem...

I've signed on to help an online journal generate PDF versions of their
articles.  The journal uses a hacked up version of Movable Type for
content management.  I've implemented a so-so solution with PHP and the
FPDF library (www.fpdf.org), but it doesn't handle Unicode very well
(and there's a possibility that articles could contain non-English
characters), and it can only handle rudimentary HTML layouts.  I've done
some PDF generation work with PDFLib, but unfortunately, that is not
option due to the cost.  My sense is that something better exists in the
Perl universe thanks to better Unicode handling.

I've seen a few promising modules on CPAN, and I'm curious if anyone has
used any of them and had any luck with them.

Thanks!
brian