[pgh-pm] Workflow editors, etc.

Barrie Slaymaker barries at slaysys.com
Mon Jan 5 12:56:15 CST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:13:51AM -0500, Chris Winters wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2004, at 10:47 AM, Barrie Slaymaker wrote:
> >What are you using for workflow editing?
>
> It's actually the other side of the coin, a generic (and simple!)
> workflow system to manage this stuff. It's just a state machine but
> geared toward everyday rather than academic problems.

Yeah, I needed something similar for non-Perl codebases, so I did
StateML to let me spec a state machine and render it in, say PIC
microcontroller C code.  The main workflow feature I know normal state
machines don't usually hack is the "split this thing (document, etc) and
send it to 5 reviewers simultaneously, then gather reviews as they
arrive and deal well with missing reviews" thing.  But for embedded
processing and normal UI design (two of the things we do a bunch of
here), normal statemachine "workflows" suffice.

> That said, the graphical designer used for the java-based OSWorkflow
> system [1] might be a good start.

I'll see if I can get it running somehere here, thanks for the pointer.

Might have to roll something in wxPerl, eventually.

> OSWorkflow is one of the reasons I
> wanted to stress simplicity in a Perl project.

Heh, I enjoyed the .NET vs. Java under/over designed OSS code critique
that's been floating about recently :).  Simplicity is vastly
underrated, especially when combined with extensibility.

- Barrie