[Perth-pm] Daemon Debugging Techniques in Perl

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sat Feb 26 00:12:35 PST 2011

Hi All,

I've been contemplating good daemon debugging techniques (other than
overly verbose lo files), using examples I've come across. Apache has
mod_status, Java/Tomcat/Jetty/JBoss has JMX. Anyone got any
recommendations or frameworks that have worked well for them in Perl?

I have a threaded, long-running script (for all arguments, its
effectively always running, but not a daemon as such, yet). I've got
logging via Syslog and console, and can increase & decrease on-the-fly
using signals (SIG USR1 increases verbosity, SIG USR2 decreases). But
that's not really giving me the flexibility I was after. I could pursue
Log4Perl (based upon Log4J, which is excellent for dynamic logging), but
isn't really live inspection (or manipulation) of variables. I generally
don't want to have TB of logs rotating around, but would like to poke
around and see the values of various variables at random times....

I could embed an SNMP service, or a web server, or a telnet service; but
I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations or war stores of
what to avoid?

  JEB

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to