[Pdx-pm] tonight: Moe, Moose, Reindeer, Mo, Moo, Mouse, Zeus, and Seuss Throw Down

Michael G. Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Mon Mar 18 12:56:45 PDT 2013

On 3/18/13 11:10 AM, benh wrote:
> I think that we had a recording failure but the consensus kinda boiled
> down like this:
>
>   Moose popular but a little bit slow when it comes to run time
>   Mouse fast runtime and easy to transition to Moose if needed but not
> capable of interop with Moose
>   Moo interop with Moose but slow both in run time and developer time
> due to missing features

I approve this summary. :)

"interop" means that Moo can subclass Moose classes and vice-versa.  And
Moo can consume Moose roles and (I think) vice-versa.  Mouse and Moose
have incompatible meta systems and don't talk to each other.

I'd also say that of the three of them, Moo is being the most rapidly
developed at the moment, in part because it has a lot of catching up to
do.  Mouse is a strict subset of Moose and focuses on bugs, Moose
compatibility and speed.