[Pdx-pm] February meeting topic (and speaker) needed

FilteredMessages outgoing at SolutionsCreative.com
Sat Jan 14 21:19:14 PST 2012

If there is interest, in March or April (but not February) I could give
a presentation titled:

"VoteFair ranking:  Math-based voting power for the 99%"

Note that Voting::VoteFairRanking is a Perl CPAN module that I uploaded
some weeks ago -- after 20 years of development.

I'm already giving this presentation to the Westside Proggers group on
January 26 (see Calagator for details), but I could repeat it, or a
variation of it, for the PDX Perl Mongers group.

Here is the presentation description:  "Just-released open-source
software that implements VoteFair ranking is now available to help us
reach higher levels of voting fairness. You do voting when you click on
Google search results, and you use voting results when you view the star
rating of an Amazon product. Now learn how voting really works, how it
is usually miscalculated -- intentionally in the case of elections --
and how it can be done to fully extract the wisdom in a group. Learn the
math behind the puppet strings that connect politicians to the biggest
campaign contributors. (Partial spoiler: The biggest unfairness is
hidden in primary elections.) Also learn the math that eventually will
cut those puppet strings. Along the way you will learn that there are
different kinds of popularity."

FYI, I'm the author of /The Creative Problem Solver's Toolbox/ and
/Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections/, the developer of the
Dashrep programming language, and the developer of the software
negotiation tool at www.NegotiationTool.com
<http://www.NegotiationTool.com>.

If there is a preference for a shorter talk, I could give a presentation
about the Dashrep language I created.  It's a text-manipulation
language, with details at www.Dashrep.org.  The CPAN module
Language::Dashrep is the engine that does the translation.

BTW, Eric Wilhelm knows who I am.

Richard Fobes