[Pdx-pm] Package Management

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Fri Apr 13 14:12:38 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-13 13:45, Chad Granum wrote:
> I sit very firmly in the camp that your application should use a
> different perl install, seperate from the OS version. [snip]
>
> The best way I find to accomplish this is to user perlbrew
> (http://github.com/gugod/App-perlbrew)
>
> Use perlbrew to install whatever version of perl you want to use for
> your software. Switch tot he installed perl, use cpan/cpanm to
> install
> deps. Done.

What he said.

Plus:  when some other vendor does their installation and installs the
versions
of whatever that they need your software won't get broken.   This will
also allow
you to tell your client "we'll co-exist with anything.  No need for a
dedicated
VM or host."   They'll appreciate that, even if they don't believe you.

--
      Michael Rasmussen
    http://www.jamhome.us/