[Pdx-pm] September meeting tonight: "Now on 2nd Thursdays" Social

Chad Granum exodist7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 10:47:18 PDT 2011

The real problem is that the written form of contractions require
special syntax, whereas the spoken form does not require special
vocalizations.

"You're safe!" Vs "Your safe!"  in writing these are very different,
in the latter I am warning you something is wrong with the safe you
own, in the former I am noting what condition you are in. Both are
partial sentences consisting of two words (when defined by space
separated tokens). In each partial sentence both tokens have different
meanings.

But now say both out loud. There is no spoken difference. The only way
to know what is going on is the context. I would argue that in written
form you will usually have the same context information. Either way,
arguing that you should write it correctly for clarity is a farce if
you do not also advocate for a way to clarify the spoken form,
otherwise we have 2 different forms of English, and expect people to
translate depending on what they are doing.

It is difficult enough to get a point across in writing, needing to
translate what I say into different forms of English from that which I
speak is overhead I do not care for.