[Pdx-pm] wiki spam

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:52:38 PDT 2011

# from Keith Lofstrom
# on Sunday 16 October 2011 11:26:

>The attacks are
>only semiautomated - I have captchas and security questions,
>and they are answered, apparently by Real Human Beings working
>for $2 per day in the Phillipines.
>... In one case, I modified Kwiki to ask an arithmetic question,
>something that needed a calculator to solve - they apparently
>modified the spambot to include a calculator, or used a human,
>just for my website.  This is deeply disturbing.

Captchas and security questions are often answered for free by Real
Human Beings who Really Wanna Access some Free Pictorial Content.  If
you are a spammer with a long line of RHBs who RWA your FPC, you just
challenge each one of them with whatever your bot needs to answer.

--Eric
--
"Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value."
--Murphy's Constant