[Pdx-pm] Apache Lucy inaugural release 0.1.0 (incubating)
marvin at rectangular.com
Thu Jun 2 17:26:07 PDT 2011
Those of you who have been around for a while may be able to dredge from your
memory vague recollections of a January 2005 meeting with three lightning
talks, one of them on "Kinosearch".
- MarvinHumphrey: Kinosearch, a Perl search engine library
- GabrielleRoth: How I Integrated & Automated a Network Management System
- Keith Lofstrom: Dirvish - disk-to-disk based on perl and rsync
A lot has happened since then. :)
* July 2005 -- "Search::Kinosearch" 0.01 released to CPAN.
* January 2006 -- "KinoSearch", a rewrite loosely based on Java Lucene and
incorporating considerable XS, released to CPAN.
* June 2006 -- Doomed original incarnation of Apache Lucy launched as a
* 2007-2009 -- KinoSearch receives a torso transplant; all core code
rewritten in pure C.
* October 2008 -- I move from Oregon to San Diego and go work for Eventful.
* July 2010 -- Apache Lucy rebooted, leaves the Lucene umbrella and enters
the Apache Incubator with the goal of assimilating the KinoSearch code base
Two and a half years after moving to San Diego, I'm still working for
Eventful, and still getting paid to write open source -- about 75% of my time
goes towards working on Lucy.
And finally, today:
* June 2011 -- Apache Lucy 0.1.0 (incubating) released.
The Portland Perl Mongers were very first to hear about KinoSearch, and some
of its denizens were among the first users and boosters:
Thanks for all the thoughtful and generous feedback I received back then,
folks. Look -- I took your advice, and it worked!
More information about the Pdx-pm-list