[Pdx-pm] CentOS 5.x and Perl 5.10+

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Tue Jul 5 13:27:18 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, July 05, 2011 at 01:20 pm, Roderick A wrote:

> Is it a forlorn hope or has anyone come up with a way (that hopefully
> doesn't break piles of other stuff) to get a recent version of Perl on
> CentOS 5.5 systems.
>
> I've done the compile from a tarball, a Fedora src.rpm, etc. with less
> than stellar results.  They worked but were not really maintainable.
>
> I'm looking at moving to Scientific Linux 6 since it is out (verse the
> last I heard for CentOS 6).
>
> Any suggestions or ideas?

I use App::perlbrew and ignore the system Perl 5:

	http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?perlbrew

Several deployment options exist: one perlbrew per application or one per user
or one per compilation of Perl 5.

The latter approach works for me, but I don't mind reinstalling all of my CPAN
dependencies every time I install a new Perl 5 point release. If that's a
bother for you (and it may become one for me), one local::lib installation per
Perl 5 major release family can help.

-- c