[Pdx-pm] Fwd: UG News - Best of Ebook Deal of the Day - Save 60% - Top 25 of 2010

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 20:22:35 PST 2011

# from Joshua Keroes
# on Thursday 20 January 2011 02:22:

>There are approximately three million O'Reilly titles on Perl. And
> like one on Python.
>When someone buys a Perl book, they have to choose from the... many
> ways to learn about it.
>When they want to buy a Python book, there's only one book to read.
>
>Anyway, I'm sure the Perl6 book will produce smashing sales figures
> when there's a real official Perl 6. Until then, Perl5 is just a
> mature language of which the adherents all own several books already.
>
>*shrug*

I read "JavaScript: The Good Parts" and thought: with good parts like
these, who needs bad parts?

You might also have noticed that the modern perl titles are not oreilly.

I often wonder how many people learn Perl from the camel book (and how
many from MSA.)

--Eric
--
Turns out the optimal technique is to put it in reverse and gun it.
--Steven Squyres (on challenges in interplanetary robot navigation)