[Pdx-pm] Custom CentOS RPM of Perl

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 12:16:40 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Roderick A. Anderson
<raanders at cyber-office.net> wrote:
> I have seen postings (mostly on the Catalyst list) that the Perl RPM for the
> Redhat based distributions is pretty bad.  I've seen stuff that makes me
> agree.  An @INC the gives me a head ache to look at and can't be good when
> searching for modules.
> I'd like to build (or find) a Perl RPM that replaces the one provided. This
> is for CentOS systems.  Is this something a mostly sane person :-) should
> try?
> Anyone have experience doing this and can point me in the right direction?
> TIA,
> Rod
> --

I'd recommend checking out perlbrew.

It will let you build out multiple perl binaries and their own lib paths.

I never use vendor-supplied perls, instead built my own and then
combine that with local::lib.  This means I don't ever worry about me
breaking the OS, or the OS breaking my code.  Perlbrew simplifies all
of this, though, and I'd highly recommend looking at it.