[Pdx-pm] OT: Looking for a good Windows Admin support group or web site

Ben Prew ben.prew at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 12:34:59 PST 2010

Ok, I'll bite...

I also do a little "family" administration of Windows machines and I've
found that setting up something like Cygwin works pretty well, you can even
setup ssh, although it's a little tedious, but if you use Linux, you're used
to that already :)

Another good option for remote administration is to setup something like
tightvnc (with a password!), or gotomypc [1].  As far as local resources go,
I don't really have anything, but I've found both of those things have made
it easier to do common types of remote tasks.

To pry further, what types of administration are you looking to do, like
setting up IIS, or just "best practices" for home/desktop machines?

Good luck

[1] https://www.gotomypc.com

2010/1/30 Kris Bosland <kris at bosland.com>

> # from Jonathan Leto
>
>> # on Friday 29 January 2010 20:15:
>>
>> >You should unsubscribe and ask somewhere else.
>>
>> Well.  Now that's uncalledfor.  Especially from a top-poster.  ;-)
>>

> For my part, I will apologize again, and stop taking up the lists bits
> after this message.
>

>> calagator:
>>
>>  http://calagator.org/events/search?query=windows
>>

>> PLUG clinic on the third Sunday at Free Geek.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointers
>

>> But it is indeed off-topic Kris, unless you're thinking of giving a talk
>> on automating windows administration with Perl, which would be quite
>> interesting.
>>

> I do use Perl on Windows for any simple tasks I need to do there.  If I
> find something interesting enough to discuss, I will submit a proposal for a
> talk.
>

>> --Eric
>> --
>>

> Thanks again,