[Pdx-pm] Introduction to Parrot -- February meeting in 2 weeks

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 19:51:47 PST 2010

Howdy,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Tom Keller <kellert at ohsu.edu> wrote:
> A brief discussion/prediction of where Parrot will fit into "production" environments would be appreciated too. For me Perl is a tool to make me and co-workers more efficient and less error prone. We use it to automate processes that would otherwise require cutting and pasting, typing, selecting from lists, etc.: data munging and also batch processing of on-line data sources.

I will be sure to talk about this. What I can say now is, Parrot VM
and Perl 5 don't quite compete in the same niche.  There will be
languages built on top of Parrot, (such as Rakudo Perl 6) that *will*
compete in the same niche. I will talk about those.

> How will Parrot help with these and other practical tasks?

Parrot *will* help with many practical tasks. Languages that run on
top of Parrot will be able to share libraries. This is a *huge* amount
of time-savings for people who write these libraries. I will go into
this more at the meeting.

Duke