[Pdx-pm] perl5.10.0/bytes.pm bug?

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Fri Mar 27 14:17:13 PDT 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 13:53:10 Thomas Keller wrote:

> Would one of you gurus take a look at this?
> $ fink list bioperl
> Illegal character in prototype for bytes::length : _ at /opt/local/lib/
> perl5/5.10.0/bytes.pm line 22.
> Illegal character in prototype for bytes::chr : _ at /opt/local/lib/
> perl5/5.10.0/bytes.pm line 23.
> Illegal character in prototype for bytes::ord : _ at /opt/local/lib/
> perl5/5.10.0/bytes.pm line 24.
> Information about 2519 packages read in 0 seconds.
>   i   bioperl-pm586                   1.5.1-2                 Perl
> module for biology
>
> I changed:
> sub length (_);
> sub chr (_);
> sub ord (_);
>
> to:
> sub length ();
> sub chr ();
> sub ord ();
>
> and the warning goes away. Is this worth pursuing in the source code?

Are you *sure* that perl -v shows that you're using Perl 5.10?  The _
prototype is new in this version; it means that the function takes a scalar
argument but defaults to $_ if you don't supply one.  Think of how chomp()
behaves, and you'll get it.

If I had to guess, I'd say that something added Perl 5.10 paths to a Perl 5.8
@INC.

-- c