[Pdx-pm] hdp on Moose - April meeting in 2 weeks

Seven till Seven enobacon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:16:25 PDT 2009

  Wed. April 8th, 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.

topic:   Meta-Moose
speaker: hdp

Moose is a postmodern object system for Perl 5.

 Moose's recent rise in popularity has led to a surge of declarative
class-building and accessor-generating modules, but the real power of
Moose comes from its metaclass fundamentals, not from the syntactic
sugar of has(). Using Moose as a foundation makes it easier for your
code to grow and scale.

 I'll cover some of the concepts in Moose that the MOP (Meta-Object
Protocol) makes possible, especially roles and type constraints. If we
have time, I'll go through a simple Moose extension, focusing on the
mechanisms Moose provides to help your code play nicely with others'.

 If the first sentence of this description was news to you, you should
at least read the SYNOPSIS of Moose, and if you can get through
Moose::Manual and Moose::Manual::Concepts, so much the better. I'll
expect a lot of questions, but I hope to move past "what is an object"
pretty quickly.

 By the end of the night I hope you'll have a better understanding of
the depth of what Moose provides, and why has() is only the tip of the
iceberg. I don't expect that everyone will immediately understand every
concept provided – my goal is to impress you so much with Moose's
awesomeness that you're willing to follow up later on the documentation
pointers that I throw out.

As always, the meeting will be followed by social hour at the Lucky Lab.
--

        http://pdx.pm.org