[Pdx-pm] Parrot 1.0

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:30:49 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:17, Peter Scott <Peter at psdt.com> wrote:
> At 12:00 PM 3/19/2009, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> If you have been at the meetings, you already know this.  But for those
>> who didn't get the memo:
>>
>>  http://www.parrot.org/news/2009/Parrot-1.0.0
>
> That's great!  I'm trying to figure out from the announcement why this
> release gets the landmark number 1.0.0.  I was expecting to find something
> that stood out in that respect and I saw a lot of cool stuff but nothing in
> particular.  Is it a critical mass sort of thing?

in november, the parrot core team met for the first parrot developer
summit.  there we set a date for 1.0, created a roadmap that would get
us there[1] and beyond, and discussed a release and support policy[2].
 parrot 1.0 marks the successful completion of our critical roadmap
items, and the introduction of these new policies.  it also marks the
end to our nlnet grant, $70k generously donated to support the design,
prototyping, implementation, and documentation of nine critical
subsystems.

the name is mostly a marketing gimmick, as our release numbers are
time-based , and .0 releases will on occur in january from now on.
it's more important to note that this marks our 27th regular monthly
release, and the start of a new, longer deprecation cycle designed to
attract high-level language developers.

~jerry

1. https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/ParrotRoadmap
2. http://docs.parrot.org/parrot/latest/html/docs/project/support_policy.pod.html