[Pdx-pm] Reading process output fails prematurely?

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Wed Mar 4 23:33:23 PST 2009

Hello,

I'm writing a simple test program that does something I've done many
times with perl. It executes a long-running process and performs
blocking reads on the stdout of that process. Like so:

open(EVENTS, "| /usr/local/sbin/udevmonitor");
while (my $line = <EVENTS>) {
        print "I see: $line";
}

When udevmonitor starts, it immediately prints out three lines, then
sits silently until it detects a udev event from the Linux kernel, which
it faithfully prints out.

Running the above snippet of code, however, starts udevemonitor as a
subprocess, prints "I see: <blah>" for those first three lines of
output, and then exits, leaving the udevmonitor process running in the
background.

I have, by the way, recompiled a version of udevmonitor that doesn't
print out that three-line preamble, and the perl script then exits
without printing anything - but again leaving the udevmonitor running in
the background.

I'm pretty sure udevmonitor isn't printing out EOFs. What else could I
be doing wrong?

I'm using perl v5.8.8 on Debian Etch.

Thanks,

Scott