[Pdx-pm] Is the ExtUtils::Installed in Perl 5.10 broken?

Igal Koshevoy igal at pragmaticraft.com
Wed Jun 24 11:37:06 PDT 2009

I believe that I've found the underlying issue.

I use GNU Stow, a very useful tool written in Perl that provides a handy
way of installing things into paths like /usr/local/stow/git- and
then manages symlinks into /usr/local. It makes it easy to install
different versions of software outside my OS's package manager and
switch between them. For additional details about GNU Stow, please read

My trouble was that my "/usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0" hierarchy was
empty, since this was being run on a freshly installed OS without any
other modules installed, so Stow decided to replace it with a symlink to
my Git's instance of this directory because Git actually had content for
this directory. This relinking is usually a reasonable thing, but was
the wrong thing to do in this case, but shouldn't have been fatal.

Unfortunately, there's something in ExtUtils::Installed that really,
really doesn't this sort of thing. It refused to traverse the symlinked
directory and didn't see the .packlist files within. Once I uninstalled
Acme::please, unstowed Git, installed Acme::please, and stowed Git, all
was well again.

If I have time, I'll try to find out what in specific is going wrong
with ExtUtils::Installed handling of symlinked directories.

Anyway, I suppose that my particular problem is resolved for now. Thanks
to Ben, Eric and Eric for pitching in to help.