[Pdx-pm] Suggestion for next meeting: Getting 5.10.1 released

Tyler Riddle triddle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 10:05:04 PDT 2009

I'm new and have been a lurker for a while but I'm competent enough in
C (I think) to help out and would love to work on some perlguts.

+1 me too

Tyler

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Jonathan Leto<jaleto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am all for some kind of "Perl code sprint" that happens as much as
> once a week, where a few people get together with a common goal and
> get some stuff done.
>
> There was a great talk at OSBridge about "Effective Codesprinting" by
> the Calagator peeps, they spread a lot of useful knowledge that I
> would like to put into practice.
>
> Would anybody be up for it?
>
> Duke
>

>> Are you proposing this for next month's meeting, or possibly something
>> sooner (why wait a month)?
>>
>> On Jun 21, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After 18 months, 5.10.1 is almost ready to go.  Pumpking Dave Mitchel has
>>> identified a list of bugs he'd like to have triaged.  Him and Nick Clark
>>> have
>>> been all but begging people to look at them.
>>>
>>> I propose for next meeting we would look through that list of bugs, and
>>> pick
>>> off any we feel we can make progress on. Progress includes any of:
>>>
>>> 1: Verifying that the bug is still present in blead/perl-maint
>>> 2: Writing a test that will pass once the bug is fixed
>>> 3: Using that test to run a bisect to find when the bug was introduced
>>> 4: Actually fixing the bug
>>>
>>> This would let people play with git, get to know the perl bug tracker, get
>>> some experience squashing perl bugs, writing tests for perl bugs (its
>>> remarkably similar to using Test::More now) and maybe even learn some C.
>>>  Also
>>> it would help 5.10.1 finally get out the door!
>>>
>>> Also, we can test the 5.10.1 branch both by trying it out on every wacky
>>> computer and compiler we can get our hands on.  Old unixen, weird
>>> compilers...
>>> Windows (seriously).
>>>
>>> chromatic and I have experience squashing perl bugs and can help the rest
>>> get
>>> in on that.  I know we have some C programmers in the group who can help
>>> teach
>>> the rest of us.  And I'm sure you guys have access to a lot of machines.
>>>
>>> So a nice hands-on meeting, which means we can head off to the Lucky Lab
>>> early. :)
>>>

>>> --
>>> A: Yes.

> --
>
> Jonathan Leto
> jonathan at leto.net
> http://leto.net

Red Hat's vision for Unix is findgrepsedtee and a package manager that lies.