[Pdx-pm] Suggestion for next meeting: Getting 5.10.1 released

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Sun Jun 21 14:36:42 PDT 2009

After 18 months, 5.10.1 is almost ready to go.  Pumpking Dave Mitchel has
identified a list of bugs he'd like to have triaged.  Him and Nick Clark have
been all but begging people to look at them.

I propose for next meeting we would look through that list of bugs, and pick
off any we feel we can make progress on. Progress includes any of:

1: Verifying that the bug is still present in blead/perl-maint
2: Writing a test that will pass once the bug is fixed
3: Using that test to run a bisect to find when the bug was introduced
4: Actually fixing the bug

This would let people play with git, get to know the perl bug tracker, get
some experience squashing perl bugs, writing tests for perl bugs (its
remarkably similar to using Test::More now) and maybe even learn some C.  Also
it would help 5.10.1 finally get out the door!

Also, we can test the 5.10.1 branch both by trying it out on every wacky
computer and compiler we can get our hands on.  Old unixen, weird compilers...
Windows (seriously).

chromatic and I have experience squashing perl bugs and can help the rest get
in on that.  I know we have some C programmers in the group who can help teach
the rest of us.  And I'm sure you guys have access to a lot of machines.

So a nice hands-on meeting, which means we can head off to the Lucky Lab early. :)