[Pdx-pm] new error from old program

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:50:40 PDT 2009

# from Roderick A. Anderson
# on Thursday 09 April 2009 18:40:

> From a reply to a posting by me back in December 2007 chromatic said
>
>Somehow, your Perl installation is finding the pure-Perl version of
>Scalar::Util.  You need the XS version.

Right.  Now just in case you like to take things apart and see how they
work...

In general, you might be able to check this sort of thing like so:

  perl -MScalar::Util -e 'warn @DynaLoader::dl_modules'

Then, you should have an 'auto' directory in the corresponding @INC tree
here where the binary can be found.

  perl -MScalar::Util -e 'warn $INC{"List/Util.pm"}'

e.g.
  /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/List/Util.pm
  /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/auto/List/Util/Util.so

(On a Mac, that's going to be auto/List/Util/Util.dylib.)

Or, if you have Module::ScanDeps installed, just:

 scandeps.pl -V -e 'use Scalar::Util'

Which will give you lots of output including

  # auto/List/Util/Util.so [shared]
  # Legend: [C]ore [X]ternal [S]ubmodule [?]NotOnCPAN
  'List::Util'   => '0', #  X   # Scalar::Util

And you see the 'X', which means XS.

--Eric
--
The first rule about Debian is you don't talk about Debian