[Pdx-pm] Getting Involved as a Mentor/Guide with Google Summer of Code 2009

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:04:57 PDT 2009

Howdy,

Some people at the meeting tonight expressed interest about how to
help out with The Perl Foundation and Google Summer of Code 2009. Here
is what you need to know.

There is a public google group [1] for mentors and students and
whoever else in the Perl community who would like to give a helping
hand. I will refer to these people as "Guides." If you are willing to
spend a little more time and be a mentor, which includes the very
important job of commenting and ranking our current student
applications, then you can signup on the GSoC web app [3]. You will
need to sign up, then apply to be a mentor for The Perl Foundation. We
already have 20 mentors signed up, you guys rock!

Even if all the time you have is to occasionally answer an email from
a student that is stuck, that is a valuable contribution. There is
also an irc channel, #soc-help on irc.perl.org .

There are some really cool proposals this year (we got 19), here is a sample:

1) LLVM JIT runcore for Parrot
2) Tools to access Perl 6 user documentation
3) Various improvements to the Mojo + Catalyst web frameworks
4) Multimethods for SMOP
5) Widgets for November, a wiki engine written in Perl 6
6) Perl bindings to wxWebkit
7) Decimal floating point (IEEE754-2008) arithmetic for Parrot
8) Fast Primality testing in Perl using Math::BigInt::GMP (getting rid
of the Math::Pari dependence of Crypt::*)

It is shaping up to be an interesting summer, come join the fun!

Duke

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/tpf-gsoc-students
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/tpf-gsoc
[3] http://socghop.appspot.com/