[Pdx-pm] Trends in Internet usage

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Apr 8 16:56:23 PDT 2009

Jeff Zucker wrote:
> Sorry, this isn't a Perl question, but I haven't been able to find what
> I'm looking for and y'all might have some suggestions.  I'm looking for
> trends in usage of various Internet modes of information
> delivery/communication, especially the role of mailing lists.  Is the
> use of listservs and other mailing lists rising, falling, or remaining
> flat?  How does it compare to social networking in over-all usage?  I've
> browsed around netstats and server-watch and w3c and  various sites by
> contributors to the listserv software but without finding anything even
> close.

markmail.org may prove interesting, it archives about 7000 lists and 38
million messages back to 1993.

The opening graph surely seems to show a continually growing trend, but
remember that might simply show the growth of what markmail archives rather
than the actual growth of mailing lists.  To get a good feel I'd take a random
sampling of what markmail has to offer and see what the trend is.

FWIW, after a peaking in 2001, Perl is holding steady at about 6000 messages
per month.  Though I don't think this includes pm.org lists.
http://perl.markmail.org/

Its interesting to see that while most of the chatter is coming from p5p, a
good chunk is perl.beginners.
http://perl.markmail.org/search/?q=

--
191. Our Humvees cannot be assembled into a giant battle-robot.
    -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army