[Pdx-pm] Creating animated geometric GIFs with Perl?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 05:18:38 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I want to make some animated GIFs.  I will be moving groups of
> geometric elements (lines, rectangles, ellipses) around.  Extra
> points if the tool facilitates 3D, perspective, and programmable
> point of view, but merely being able to do something like a pair
> of rotating boxes would be fine, I can extrapolate and do the
> coordinate transforms with that as a start.  I've found a few
> modules with useless descriptions and much breakage;  perhaps
> somebody can point at robust alternatives.
>
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993
> KLIC --- Keith Lofstrom Integrated Circuits --- "Your Ideas in Silicon"
> Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Scan ICs

Hi Keith,

I know that Flash is often times seen as a bad word, but I've had much
better luck in the past doing this with Flash.  Before you say "Hey, no
Flash!" you should also keep in mind it is fairly trivial to convert Flash
render frames into individual GIF frames to splice together into an
animation.

There are pretty good Perl libraries into Flash, but I'm hesitant to
recommend any since it's been years since I've worked with this stuff.

Good luck,
-J