[Pdx-pm] Open Source Bridge Conference -- early bird discount and CFP

Igal Koshevoy igal at pragmaticraft.com
Wed Apr 1 06:44:10 PDT 2009

FYI: The Open Source Bridge Conference proposal deadline has been
extended till the end of April 10th. Although we already have plenty of
talks, we'd be glad to get some more.

# from J. Shirley
> I'd like to get it out of the echo chamber and show non-Perl hackers
> how powerful of a tool it is, but it seems that a lot of these talks
> (at least at OSCON) end up being filled with Perl People.
Open Source Bridge is language-neutral, so if you can craft a compelling
proposal, you'll be able to spread your message outside the Perl community.

# from J. Shirley
> The option I'm leaning towards is a sort of bait'n'switch: "Using
> RESTful techniques and YUI".  It will just happen to use Catalyst
> as the medium.
It's okay to use Catalyst as a background for a YUI-focused talk, but
it's not okay trick people into a YUI talk where you focus on Catalyst
instead.

If you're proud of Catalyst and Perl and want to show people what they
can do, just say so and focus your talk on how these work, how they're
used, and in which niches they excel.

Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> Or a Rails vs Catalyst cage match?
These two frameworks appeal to very different kinds of people, so I
doubt that people would switch sides based on your arguments. If you're
serious about a matchup, consider comparing Catalyst against frameworks
like Werkzeug, Pylons or Merb. Be aware that choosing a match-up format
may hurt your cause because you'll have far less time to talk about
Catalyst and Perl.

However, speaking of cage matches.... At last year's Ruby Brigade FOSCON
event, I organized a competition where we had teams using the Rails,
Symfony, Drupal, and Seaside frameworks to build an app from scratch to
a common set of high-level design requirements. This was all done in
front of a large audience watching the teams hacking side-by-side with
every keystroke displayed on projectors. The competition was intense,
entertaining and surprisingly informative despite its gimmicky format.
For details, see <http://pdxfoscon.org/competition>. I'd be up for doing
something of this sort as a Bridge conference evening entertainment.
Would you be interested in watching this, willing to represent a Perl
framework, or help with organizing the competition (defining the specs &
how the contest runs, clarifying specs to contestants, etc)?

-igal