[Pdx-pm] "Final report" for Mozilla Foundation and TPF Perl 6 development grant

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 01:50:26 PDT 2008

Hi all,

A recap of the work that Patrick Michaud has been doing on Perl 6 and
rakudo/parrot for the past year or so:

So, "how could I get rakudo and run some perl 6 today?", you ask?

Well, you could read this:

But reading is boring, right?

  svn co https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk parrot
  cd parrot
  perl Configure.pl
  make coretest
  cd languages/perl6
  make coretest

  Perl="../../parrot perl6.pbc"

  $Perl -e 'say "hello"'

  $Perl -e '
    my @a = 1..5;
    say @a.reverse.join(", ");'

  $Perl -e '
    my @a = ([1..5],["a".."k"]);
    say @a.map({$_.join(",")}).join("|");'

  $Perl -e '
    my %h = (foo => 1, bar => 2, baz => 3);
    say %h.keys.map({$_ ~ " => " ~ %h{$_}}).join("\n");'

Also `make spectest_regression`, which will download lots of perl 6 code
from the pugs project into t/spec/ for your reading pleasure.

There are still a few hubcaps that fall off of rakudo when you kick the
tires.  The lack of IO, missing %*ENV (it seems), and list slices
(@list[0,3] silently and unhelpfully takes the scalar(0,3) and gives
you the thing at index 2 at the moment.)

And there is no infinite list yet?  This error message is unfortunately
seeming rather typical at this stage.

  $Perl -e 'my @list = 0..*; say @list[42]'

  wget http://svn.pugscode.org/pugs/examples/algorithms/hanoi.pl
  $Perl hanoi.pl
  $Perl hanoi.pl 6
  $Perl hanoi.pl 8 Segfault :-(

I was hoping to include a module, but I'm not readily finding an example
and this is getting long anyway.

Issues of control, repair, improvement, cost, or just plain
understandability all come down strongly in favor of open source
solutions to complex problems of any sort.
--Robert G. Brown